Bilateral relations between Germany and Liberia go back a long way. The Hanseatic cities of Lübeck, Bremen and Hamburg recognised Liberia’s independence in 1855 (the first partners after the UK) and opened a joint consulate in Monrovia.
After closing in 1990 due to the civil war, the German Embassy recommenced its work in Monrovia in 2005. Bilateral relations intensified during the term of office of President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, the Nobel Peace Prize laureate. The German private sector had a strong presence in the country until the outbreak of the civil war in late 1989. German companies are currently operating in strategic sectors in Liberia such as aviation, banking, the construction industry and the postal service.
In the sphere of development cooperation, Germany is mainly active in the spheres of healthcare, education and infrastructure support. Acting on behalf of the German Government, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) will be supporting the Liberian Government until 2024 with vocational training in the transport and healthcare sectors. In addition, it is providing advisory services relating to renewable energy and raw materials management. The expansion of the Liberian section of the West African Power Pool (WAPP) is being realised with the help of the Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (KfW). Furthermore, GIZ and KfW have been engaged in a cross-border project concerning the Taï-Grebo-Sapo forest complex between Liberia and Côte d’Ivoire.